The International Day of Happiness (known as Happiness Day) is celebrated throughout the world on the March 20th.
“At this time of grave injustices, devastating wars, mass displacement, grinding poverty and other man-made causes of suffering, the International Day of Happiness is a global chance to assert that peace, well-being, and joy deserve primacy” says UN Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon. We see it as a day of reflection and peace.
Did you know that Mom keeps a gratefulness diary? She’s had it on the go for four or five years now and writes down five things that make her happy.
“It’s very powerful to focus on the positive,” she says. “We all have lots in our lives that we can be grateful for but often we don’t recognise it”.
In her own words: here are five simple things that make Mom happy on this day in 2016!
- Cooking up a nice meal together with friends or family and sitting down to share it together.
- A good book or film by the fire on a winter’s night.
- Hitting a few golf balls with a friend at Castlegregory Golf Club, with the sound of the waves of Stradbally beach in the background and the wonderful views of mountains and sky all around.
- Digging up fresh potatoes out of the garden and eating them with fresh, wild salmon (if we’re lucky!) and wild garlic pesto.
- Going down the road and meeting Úna-Minh on her way home from town and sharing stories of our day as we walk home together.
Little things keep us going but we realise that not everyone can be happy all of the time. It’s so important to look after our own well-being and mental health.
What makes you happy? What are you grateful for? Let us know in the comment section below.